Sapphire Now 2013 report card

SUMMARY:

I’m awarding SAP high marks for clarifying HANA options and a passing grade for talking about a modern user interface badged Fiori. Not approved for graduation? The cloud platform story. Read on for more.

snabetigerfinalDuring his Sapphire Now 2013 keynote, Chairman Hasso Plattner called students from the Hasso Plattner Institute onstage. One student showed off a demo analyzing 4 billion lines of code with HANA in real time, prompting a snarky friend of mine to quip, “Why do I need SAP? I’ll just get a HANA instance on Amazon and hire one of Hasso’s students directly.”

In keeping with the school spirit, let’s hand out a few initial few grades for SAPPHIRE Now – which are open to revision as new facts emerge.

High marks

Path to HANA clarified for SAP customers (including cloud options). With an uber-confidence lacking in past years, SAP clarified the paths to HANA for its own customers, including surprisingly reasonable explanations of the public cloud (AWS), private cloud, and on-premise options. The lack of head-scratching afterwards was a big messaging win for SAP, which is usually expert at tripping on tech minutia.

Unlike past years, SAP didn’t push the ‘hybrid’ future of on-premise and cloud to hedge their cloud bets. As SAP steps ever-closer to“all in” on HANA, that now means HANA/mobile/cloud. The three are now inseparable in SAP’s future plans, and that’s not an insignificant change. Whether SAP’s ERP customers will embrace this plan or opt for a different way to modernize their core remains to be seen.

As for multi-tenancy purists eager to scrutinize SAP’s cloud architecture for scale, they were likely either delighted or baffled by Plattner’s explanation that while the HANA Enterprise Cloud is not multi-tenant, SAP’s HANA cloud platform does support multi-tenant applications. Plattner cited Sales OnDemand and Financials OnDemand as examples, while announcing an August 2013 timeframe for moving SuccessFactors (also multi-tenant) onto HANA. SAP isn’t sweating cloud definitions; it’s focused on giving its customers the right options. That’s high marks.

Passing grade

We need a modern UI right now” – the Fiori announcement. “Consumer grade UI” is a big piece of the HANA/cloud/mobile puzzle. During Executive Board Member Vishal Sikka’s Thursday keynote, Sikka brought Sam Yen on stage to demonstrate 25 new “Fiori” apps (Yen owns the unenviable job of transforming SAP’s UIs).The apps looked appealing, though a fellow attendee told me they had a Windows 8 vibe, which may not be the comparison SAP was ultimately hoping for.

According to Yen, these Fiori apps address 80 percent of SAP users and 45 percent of SAP system usage. To drive the point home, SAP showcased an already-live customer, Colgate Palmolive, which talked up Fiori’s ease of use and deployment. Colgate gave particularly high marks for Fiori’s mobile look.

Based on SAP UI5, Fiori apps are HTML5-based, and optimized for the Google Chrome browser. Fiori’s back end connectivity, provided by SAP’s OData-based Gateway tool, makes for a lightweight architecture. Sybase Unwired Platform detractors will be pleased to learn that the “toolkit formally known as SUP” is not part of the Fiori solution. Fiori also launched with transparent pricing. Within minutes I had the Fiori page up and a shopping cart loaded. The price? A modest $150 per user for the 25 apps.

So why did I give Fiori only a passing grade? During lunch, an ASUG volunteer told me her company is running Internet Explorer 8, which is not HTML5 compliant. There are no foreseeable plans to upgrade. I heard other similar stories. No, Internet Explorer 8 is not SAP’s fault, but it does pour some cold water on the goal of immediate availability.

Fiori’s pricing also provoked a heated Twitter discussion about whether the apps should be given away. Should they be made free as atonement for previous UI suffering? Goodwill is never a bad thing.

SAP seems resolute that it’s valid to charge for Fiori. There are also questions about whether Fiori is intended for core users (the impression I got from the keynote) or casual users, a distinction which could have pricing implications. I’m wary of SAP’s insistence on monetizing every rollout, particularly mobility functions other vendors are offering at no cost.

For now, I’ll assign a passing grade and see what Fiori adoption is like.

Not approved for graduation (yet)

The HANA Cloud Platform story. Yes, the HANA cloud choices for SAP ERP customers made sense. The Afaria cloud option was an underrated story, and putting Lumira in the cloud helps me make up for the clunky renaming. (Lumira was renamed from “Visi”). But elsewhere, confusion abounds.

During Sapphire Now, the press attended a briefing on HANA Enterprise Cloud where the HANA Cloud Platform was explained in a way that created more haze than clarity, including some questions about overlapping “HANA Cloud” names that were not well answered.

To be fair to SAP, Aiaz Kazi, who now has the new job of running platform at SAP, has recently published a coherent explanation of the HANA Cloud Platform that is much more definitive than what I heard on the ground, fleshing out the HANA Cloud Platform content in Plattner and Sikka’s keynotes. I shot a video with Kazi at Sapphire on this topic – I’ll add a link to it once it’s produced.

If Kazi can get this message propagated internally and bring developers on stage with good stories to share about the HANA Cloud Platform at TechEd, SAP can turn this around.

Extra credit

• 29 million SAP cloud users – Numbers don’t mean everything (and are open to interpretation) but is not a small number.
  • 9.8 million Jam customers – Again, not sure volume tells the whole story, but collaboration at SAP is a sneaky story to watch.
  • The math-and-design-heavy keynote on day 3 was a treat for quants and creatives. Not sure it was a perfect fit for the Sapphire Now audience, but it put intellectual weight behind the HANA marketing message.

Revise in time for TechEd

• Developer engagement is not a done deal. Gateway pricing improved – yes. Amazon AWS – good. But free download options and access to back end SAP systems for testing are still (sorely) needed.
  • HANA at its best is an open system with as much potential for SAP startups as for SAP ERP customers. We need to hear more about ease-of-development on the HANA Cloud at TechEd – for customers, but also for partners and individuals who have never seen the back end of an SAP system.
  • SAP has a big opportunity to deliver on cloud integration (and cloud/on-premise) the way it never really did with NetWeaver. SAP knows this but we have yet to hear an explanation that isn’t bogged down in SAPanese.

With TechEd season a few months off, SAP has time to get this done. We’ll find out soon enough. (For more on my Sapphire Now 2013 views, check out my Day 1 wrap. Dennis has also posted several of our JD-OD.com Sapphire Now videos in his Sapphire Now-SuiteWorld faceoff post – more are coming).

Disclosure: SAP covered most of Jon’s Sapphire Now travel costs. SAP is a diginomica premier partner.

Image credit: Jon Reed

UPDATE: Holger Mueller provides a different take on proceedings that is well worth the reading.

UPDATE: Section on HANA Cloud Platform updated with new information – 05/19/2013 2:30 EST.

1. greg_not_so says:

switched to livefyre already? disqus did eat one of my comments, so let’s so if this one is better

greg_not_so No problem with this one. TBH, Disqus was causing more than one problem so – in the fine tradition of failing often – out it went and in came Livefyre. Let’s see how long it lasts 😉

2. kgrovetx says:

Jon
      I think you have hit a fair balance on the Sapphire news. I struggled to follow the Tweet stream this week from the client offices (where Twitter is blocked) and REAL work was expected.
      HANA, HANA in some form in the cloud, Fiori and Afaria cloud are some really interesting new technologies and point toward a future for enterprise computing that will look significantly different. Still I wonder how many of SAP’s current customers will be flocking to embrace the new technologies. I could list any number of difficulties in switching to one of these technologies but what I continue to see in the mid-size companies  are IT and SAP teams that face continued budget constrictions that have left them treading water keeping the existing implementations current. It is quite easy to say “Just fire up a developer instance on AWS”, but it is quite a different matter to set aside resources for doing internal proof of concepts.
      Perhaps the ensuing months as the technologies continue to mature swapping out the current database for HANA will be no more difficult than a support stack upgrade.
      Finally, congrats to all at diginomica The format is exceeded only by the quality of the content.
      Regards,
      Kevin

kgrovetx diginomica Cheers mate. We’re trying to suck less every day…hopefully we’re succeeding.

kgrovetx Thanks for the comment. I think you pretty much nailed it with “Still I wonder how many of SAP’s current customers will be flocking to embrace the new technologies”. Beyond the editorial gimmick of assigning grades, that’s really the essence of the question here. Give SAP credit for having a vision of a real-time enterprise that is clearly more relevant than an old “legacy ERP mindset”, but there are big risks here too.
        As mentioned we don’t know if SAP’s customers will come along for the ride. I think we can also safely say that with the already significant maintenance costs they have put in (and continue to put in) they may not want to pay for the next round of innovations. The “Fiori” should be free debate is a good example.
        Thanks for the good words on the diginomica site. We have a lot of work to do but it’s good that it’s connecting to readers like yourself.

3. grahamrobbo says:

Thanks for the write-up Jon,
      I would like to pick up on your comment that there “are also questions about whether Fiori is intended for core users … or casual users”.
      I am a bit surprised that some SAP peeps are suggesting that Fiori apps are aimed at “casual users”. My understanding is that Fiori is SAP’s response to Sam Yen’s goal to “change the perception of SAP usability” that I blogged about last year. ( See http://scn.sap.com/community/ui-technology/blog/2012/12/19/changing-perception-of-usability-at-sap )
      Part of Sam’s strategy is to identify the most common SAP transactions used across the SAP customer base and “renew” them. Fiori is the response to this. By definition the most common transactions are used by more than casual users – for goodness sake Sales Order creation is one of the Fiori scenarios! On the Fiori web site the apps are described as being “…for broadlyand frequently used SAP software functions…”.
      If some SAP peeps are saying this I am disappointed on two fronts.they have confused and diluted what should have been a simple message
      they have, not for the first time, fallen back on this “casual user” rubbish. I completely disagree that “casual users” have different UX needs that any other user. It is possible they only require a subset of functionality – but that has nothing to do with UX.
      I hope that whoever mentioned this just got their facts wrong. I know I was told some incorrect information about licensing on the Fiori stand that I clarified with Sam when we had a bloggers meeting with him. Unfortunately I had not heard the “casual users” stuff before then so I did not ask him about it.
      Cheers
      Graham Robbo

grahamrobbo – from what we can gather, there have been a number of communications mis-steps. In one sense that should not surprise but we take the view that with the cadence of big changes brought by HANA, SAP needs to get it messaging far crisper and precise.

grahamrobbo Thanks for this. As dahowlett has pointed out there was some unfortunate messaging confusion around Sapphire. I was glad to see SAP’s official mobiility handle jump into a Twitter debate, especially one as sensitive as pricing, but then to put out that Fiori is for casual users really went against the grain of what I thought I heard in Yen’s presentation and what I see as Fiori’s purpose. I’m hoping Yen can clarify this either here and/or in a blog post. Once we understand who Fiori is targeting we can carry one with the pricing debate. 🙂

grahamrobbo Graham – an update. I asked Sam Yen if he could clarify SAP Fiori’s intended audience in regards to the “casual user debate.” Here’s how he responded:
        “Fiori is for what I call the most broadly reaching scenarios and the most frequently used scenarios.  Wide and deep if you will. I generally don’t like the terms casual, core, or executive to describe user roles, but Fiori certainly goes beyond the “casual” user.
        Graham gets it right in his response.  We have outlined an overall UX strategy of New, Renew, and Enable.  “New” is the category of New SAP solutions such as cloud, mobile, consumer apps, etc… where we are investing to bring a much fresher, consumer grade user-experience to our solutions.  “Renew” is finding the existing transactions that 1) touch the most number of users and 2) that are used most frequently.  This is how we chose the 25 apps in the Fiori portfolio.  The term “casual user” is very misleading and causes unnecessary confusion.  Broadly used scenarios include things like vacation requests, workflow approvals, benefit checks.  These are things that everyone does.  Frequently used scenarios are things like sales order create.  As Graham said, the overall intent is to help our customers roll out a set of solutions that can quickly and broadly make an impact and hopefully change the perception about SAP’s usability,”
        I will post this on your SCN blog also: http://scn.sap.com/community/ui-technology/blog/2013/05/20/fiori-arrives–first-impressions-and-thoughts
        – Jon

1. grahamrobbo says:

jonerp grahamrobbo Might frame this – never before remember seeing a post that said “Graham gets it right…”. 😉

4. Shreyzie says:

Read a paper by Gartner recently that questioned SAP’s integration for mobile. What do you guys think about best-in-class vs. best-of SAP solutions for more innovative business technology : http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1FN5PWH&ct=130515&st=sb