B&N nukes the NOOK with a 15 March deadline for customers to save content

Come 15 March, Barnes & Noble will be accelerating its digital retreat from the NOOK experiment, leaving customers with a week to salvage their purchased content.

121228063239-barnes-and-noble-blogWhile we remain committed to providing a great digital reading experience to our customers, we are exploring all opportunities to reduce costs.

That’s the sound of Barnes and Noble CEO Ron Boire sounding the retreat from the firm’s ill-advised venture into competing with Amazon’s Kindle with its own NOOK e-reader.

While his comments are simply reflective of an ongoing shift away by the firm from its digital disappointment, what is interesting is how many actions are now being taken to achieve this. Boire states bluntly:

Our first priority is to significantly improve NOOK performance. During the third quarter, we reduced NOOK expenses by $25 million and recently took additional action to exit NOOK’s app and video businesses that will result in additional cost savings…we are actively engaged in exploring a number of alternatives to materially reduce NOOK’s expense structure.

It’s easy to see why this is the case. While the third quarter saw B&N turn in increased profits of $80.3 million, up from $72.2 million year-on-year, total sales fell 1.8% to $1.41 billion, attributable in large part to poor online sales offsetting decent offline activity in-store. Breaking down the numbers:

• NOOK sales decreased 33% year-on-year to $52 million for the quarter.
  • Digital content sales decreased23%, to $31 million.
  • Device and accessory sales decreased 44% to $21 million on lower unit sales and lower average selling prices.
  • Online sales overall declined 12.5%.

So action is required – and it’s starting to kick in soon. B&N customers need to get used to some big changes coming up next week – 15 March to be precise. That’s when the firm will no longer offer third party applications from the Nook Store. That’s a decision fuelled by the success of Google’s Play Store which runs on B&N devices and has been inevitably far more successful.

This decision impacts every tablet B&N has ever made, but the company insists that all existing Apps previously downloaded from the NOOK Store will remain in customers Nook Library and will continue to be accessible on compatible Nook devices.

From 15 March, customers will also not be able to rent or purchase video content from the NOOK video store, which will be closed down completely on 30 April. If customers want to keep the content they’ve already purchased, the need to transfer content to other providers.

If you’ve bought Disney, Pixar, Marvel or Star Wars content, you need to open an account with Disney Movies Anywhere, while all other content will now require the opening of a CinemaNow account.  If you haven’t done so by 30 April, you lose the content you’ve purchased.

Meanwhile in the UK, e-books will no longer be supported by B&N. Instead, customers need to open an account with supermarket chain Sainsbury’s. In a less than encouraging proviso, B&N adds that if a book can’t be transferred to the Sainsbury’s platform, a Sainsbury’s Entertainment voucher will be issued as compensation.

Still online

For all this, Boire insists that online remains a core part of the company’s ongoing strategy:

BN.com,represents a big opportunity for us and is a very important component of our omni-channel offering. While we are encouraged the site’s improved performance during the third quarter, we still have work to do to improve sales.

We have undertaken major projects to improve the user experience, including a re-design of the front-end, improving SEO by re-engineering certain elements of the site, and improving BN.com’s search tool so that it’s more relevant and intuitive to the customer’s query.

Mobile is also to play a continuing role:

Beyond the desktop experience, we’re also making investments to improve our mobile and tablet experience. Today, over half of our site traffic is driven by mobile. We will improve our mobile experience to provide a great experience, whether it’d be on a phone or a tablet. We are also in the process of consolidating multiple B&N apps into a single customer experience.

The firm will also be looking to exploit the data accumulated by its growing customer membership loyalty program. Boire says:

We have over 5 million members and growing. Our membership presents us with great insights into our customers and provides us with rich data on their shopping behavior. It’s also a great loyalty program that rewards our best customers through the discounts that they receive and other perks. Our focus is to continue to expand the program based on what we know about our shopping patterns of our best customers so that we provide an even better, highly-customized shopping experience.

But it’s also clear that B&N is gambling on the idea that the offline bookstore isn’t dead and there will be a lot of marketing around that. Boire says:

Leading into the holiday season, our stores held a number of large-scale nationwide events, including the All-American Art Unwind, Vinyl Day and the return of our Signed Editions, which created excitement and drove traffic into our stores leading into the holiday season. We also introduced our You Never Know Who You’ll Meet at Barnes & Noble holiday television campaign, featuring Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, which generated great buzz and unprecedented social media reaction for the company with millions of social media impressions.

My take

Well, they’re taking the tough decisions at any rate. I feel sorry for anyone who bought a NOOK. If you’re in the UK, you’re going to end up potentially with 3 accounts to handle, not just the one. B&N’s future meanwhile remains far from assured, but it has perhaps turned a page, if not moved on to a new chapter.

1. Patti Dinger says:

OK will my Nook books still be readable and useable ?

1. Bruce Raterink says:

Absolutely! You don’t lose any nook books and, in the U.S., the wide selection of nook books and magazines will still be available for download. The only difference is that you’ll get your apps from Google Play Store instead of nook and watch movies through separate third party providers.

2. Grant says:

From what I understand:

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, “The reports of NOOK’s death are greatly exaggerated”.

– NOOK United States: NO CHANGE. All eBooks continue to work on all NOOK devices and apps (iOS, Android)
        – NOOK United Kingdom: Read on Sainsbury’s platform after transition date.

– Can continue to use purchased apps. Use Google Play for any new purchases

– Playback on CinemaNow or other platforms after transition date

3. jelabarre59 says:

> OK will my Nook books still be readable and useable ?
        For a very restricted definition of “usable”, possibly. But only if you try reading them on the ever-so-restricted subset of platforms they will grudgingly allow you to read them on. They’ll quite happily sell you ebooks, but there is no guarantee you’ll actually be able to READ them. Certainly, if you are trying to use MSWindows7 (or running MSWin desktop applications under Crossover Office like I do) you are absolutely S(o) Outta Luck. The only option they’ll allow on your desktop/laptop is the “Nook App” that runs under that abomination formerly-known-as-Metro (MSWin 8.x and 10).

2. Kathleen Moody says:

In the first part of 2013 I purchased 5 nook hds by March 2013 all of the started going bad. I was and still am disappointed in the quality of service I received trying to get them fixed. I feel they have abandoned their customers .

3. Mary Johnson says:

What happens to all the books I have in my library on our two nooks. And how will I be able to buy more books for the?

4. Ann E. says:

What about all my books that I purchased that are in my Nook library?

1. Bruce Raterink says:

No problem! You don’t lose any nook books and, in the U.S., the wide selection of nook books and magazines will still be available for download. The only difference is that you’ll get your apps from Google Play Store instead of nook and watch movies through separate third party providers.

5. Kathy Schroeder says:

1. Will my Nook library remain accessible on my Simple Touch?
      2. I have aNook app on my iPad. Will I still have access?

1. Bruce Raterink says:

1. Kayla says:

So if I’m using a samsung galaxy tablet nit purchased as a Nook and have the Nook app on it, I’ll still be able to read what I have downloaded. Now, will I still be able to buy ebooks from the BandN store with gift cards that I have attached to my account? Reading all of that didn’t clarify if they were killing the app completely or what…

6. Bruce McLean says:

My questions are:

1. Will I still be able to down load books to my Nook-glow?

2. How does this effect my gift card balance? I have aprox. $300.00 credit, will I be able to receive a cash settlement for my balance?

7. Bmbosse says:

Look into getting Calibre. It’s a free ebook managing software. You can buy Kindle books and convert them into epub format that’s compatible with Nook.

1. Colleen says:

Not necessarily. If the books are protected by DRM (and most are), you’re up the proverbial creek without a paddle, unless you can find third-party plugins that work with the most current version of Calibre. I personally am still looking, since the last update rendered mine useless.

2. Susan says:

I was able to find a plug-in that works for BandN books to save them onto Calibre and use them on any device. There is a separate plug-in for Kindle books. It takes a little Googling, but it’s worth it not to loose your books. I was forced into this when Sony shut down.

8. AKM says:

So basically if you used your Nook as a tablet, this sucks. But it sounds like if you used it for books (which I assume most people primarily used it for) not much is changing.

1. I read the advance notification and as I interpreted it, this would only affect movies and games. Is this correct? I have well over 400 books archived that I’ve read and 550 in my current library still to read. As with everyone else posting, I want to know what the future brings for the NOOK eReader, my archived library and my current library. Will I still have access to all?

9. Heather says:

So they pretty much did this because Kindle was beating their ass and basically guaranteed more business for Amazon by forcing people to jump ship? I’ve been a loyal B&N customer since the first Nook came out. Not completely happy with all the problems I’ve been having with my HD+ but I never would have left for a Kindle. Now I will. What a shame. If they focused more on Customer Service and the Quality of their product they wouldn’t have a problem with sales.

1. Amy B. says:

I’m on my 3rd Nook, my first being the original. We have 2 Kindle since we’re Prime customers but I NEVER read on them. The reading quality of the Nook far better tan the Kindle. Especially in the sun! I have hundreds of books in my library so I hope they’re safe!

I don’t think that was ever possible. Amazon developed a brilliant alternative to the physical product using its expertise in networks and technology. B&N never had that same capability. Reading the numbers it is clear this is a failed project but then B&N us not alone in this. On the other hand, B&N is trying alternatives as outlined in the story.

3. Anita says:

If you’re hoping for better customer service support from Amazon kindle, you’ll be sorely disappointed. I’ve had a kindle from the beginning and the customer support has been steadily declining. Their Silk browser does not work properly and requires that you power off and back on to restart, sometimes several times a day. If you want a replacement under warranty, you will get refurbished not new.

10. Arlene says:

Oh, Jesus Christ, people. This article is alarmist. Yes, you will be able to read your ebooks. They will always be available. The only change is in the third party apps. I personally haven’t used anything from the Nook app store for years…my Nook has Google play, and now that Samsung makes them, you can get Samsung specific apps as well. See there, no real change.

Honestly if the company hadn’t made an announcement no one would have noticed a difference because most people use Google Play anyway, and that’s not changing. The email B&N sent out to its customers explained this clearly. I got it and read through it and my initial response was, eh, didn’t use that anyway. The announcement appeared mainly to be geared towards the much older Nook tablets that didn’t have Google Play.

This article is creating an issue where there is none.

1. Stuart Lauchlan says:

@arelene – don’t shoot the messenger. Nowhere does it say that you won’t be able to read e-books, except for that UK-clause raising the prospect that some books might not work on Sainsbury’s platform.

It’s not the case that ‘no-one would have noticed a difference’ as the video content partnerships with Disney and CinemaNow do call for action to be taken by users.

And while the majority of people have used Google Play – which is why, as it clearly says in the article, this action is being taken – not everybody has. So it’s far from the case that no-one would have noticed.

1. Jon says:

@Stuart Lauchlan

When the messenger leads with “B&N nukes the NOOK with a 15 March deadline for customers to save content” for what is basically a call to back up secondary content to a minority of users I think he deserves a shot or two. This is clickbait at its finest.

2. Henry Slofstra says:

Normally I don’t shoot the messenger, but in this case we should make an exception. The article title is patently false, alarming Nook users un-necessarily, and harmful to B&N. B&N should sue your pants off. I would change the headline post-haste.

2. Well said, no idea why people have to be alarmists, except it does gain the site more visitors. All books are safe period.

1. Kevin says:

“All books are safe period.”

Yes. All books are safe period, except for the unknown number of UK books that “can’t be transferred to the Sainsbury’s platform”.

They probably said that because there are zero books that are at risk of not being transferred.

11. Zzavvalynn Orleanski says:

Is it still going to be useable for other apps? What about my books? I hope the tablet still going to be useful. It’s barely a year old.

12. Catherine Joosten says:

Management should have tried to find out why a significant portion of their consumers switched to purchasing mobi books. Maybe they could win back some customers. I purchased new releases that BN said wouldn’t be available for 2 weeks. Customer service said it was because their software version wasn’t ready. Amazon has never had that issue. Plus only nook books can be stored in Nooks. No mobi or any other types of books. I read books from all stores and providers and will not be limited by a provider in this manner. I can read both book types and more on my android tablet. I recently found the steps to download other books with my Kindle books. Most readers(people ), do not like big corporations trying to control our access to books and information. Epub, PDF and mobi shouldn’t be such a struggle to read on every reader. There are many new Indie writers I’ve found since switching to android who are easier to find on alternative sites.

Actually you can read any other type of book on your nook. I’ve never had that issue. I download books from overdrive and even kindle books for my nook. Also, if you have any issues, you can call your local Barnes and noble or the customer support and they will be happy to help you! 🙂

2. Squirrel says:

It was explained pretty comprehensively to me that publishers, not B&N, choose the release dates for their material. If a book is released two weeks later at B&N than the title’s general release elsewhere, it’s at the whim and demand of the publisher. I was told that, several years ago, Simon & Schuster had signed an exclusive graphic novel agreement with B&N to have first release of certain titles, then Simon & Schuster turned around and released other numerous titles exclusively to Amazon – including other titles in the same franchises as the supposed exclusive B&N agreement. [Such as releasing a Batman title exclusively to B&N, but then releasing ten other Batman titles exclusively to Amazon.] B&N’s legal department cried foul, and S&S basically took their ball and went home and refused to release any more new titles exclusively to B&N. Penguin then stepped up and began releasing certain titles early exclusively to B&N before other outlets were allowed to release them, as a kind of “nyah” to Simon & Schuster. Upshot is, various reasons [author demands, publisher demands, international trade agreements, etc] outside of B&N’s control are what controls release dates.

Also, I have never had a problem loading and reading *any* kind of e-books on my Nook. I love conspiracy theories but Big Corporations Blocking E-Books is not one of them. 🙂 That sounds like maybe your Nook has an issue.

Of course, you could always switch to Borders, they offer the Kindle.. oops, nevermind.

13. Mary Lou Fisheer says:

I just ‘updated’ my Nook Color to the tablet they were offering at a $50 discount. I don’t understand how this change the company is making will affect my reading. Will I still be able to buy books for my tablet? Will I still be able to use theNook apps I have for my computer, phone and iPad? And why wasn’t this information available last week when I ‘traded in’ my old Nook? Where can I get information that I can understand?

1. maddbookish says:

From the looks of it, it won’t affect your books or B&N library apps. They’re simply closing down their movie service and no longer offering their own App Store for 3rd party apps, but you can still get 3rd party apps on your tablet via Google’s App Store.

14. Shakebag says:

This article is not correct. All Nook digital book content and Nook magazine and newspaper subscriptions are not affected at all. It is just the the apps and games sold thru their Nook store that you won’t be able to purchase anymore. All apps that were bought thru Google play and other compatible apps are not affected either. They are not nuking the Nook devices. Get it right!

1. Stuart Lauchlan says:

@shakebag, get it right is an apposite instruction. If you read the article correctly, you will see that nowhere does it say that books are impacted – unless you’re in the UK where you need to open a Sainsbury’s account. And I can’t find the sentence that says that NOOK devices are being nuked. But the original, bigger NOOK strategy most definitely is. So, kinda, got it right.

1. Caleb Flanagan says:

Uh… the headline literally says, “B&N Nukes the Nook.” It may not be specific to nuking the devices, but the headline is misleading at best.

1. Stuart Lauchlan says:

The NOOK is an overall brand, technology and digital content strategy for B&N. That’s why they break out NOOK revenues, not just referring to the devices. The headline is a pun, of course.

I should also point out that B&N has emailed all subscribers with all the relevant information around this. People need to read their emails – pronto, if you have video content you want to hang onto.

BTW, check back in 9-12 months. Let’s see if you can still buy a NOOK device then.

15. Lu says:

This is a horribly titled article. “Nukes the Nook”?? Talk about click bait. The author intentionally titled it this way to scare readers so we HAD to read it. This kind of sloppy, lazy, “journalism” is such a waste. You either have a story or you don’t. The app store is going away, but the books are staying.

1. Stuart Lauchlan says:

“The app store is going away, but the books are staying.”

Which is precisely what the article says – with the proviso from B&N that raises the possibility that UK customers might find that some of their books don’t make it onto the Sainsbury’s platform.

1. Lu says:

You are defending your article up and down in these comments which means you realize you baited people. While you do clarify what the actual issue is, your headline claims otherwise. Bad journalism if the only way to get people to read your stuff is by using scare tactics.

c’mon Lu – behave – this is a pun (clue: NOOK and nuke?) What B&N is doing begs of that treatment and the article is factually correct so…

If you look at the economics (and B&N do split these out for NOOK) then it is obvious that the company has to rein in costs to stop it bleeding cash and profit.

As someone says below: “Nobody wants to spend resources supporting a dead product.”

16. Judith Swierczek says:

I went through 6 Nooks in 2 years! The first one just up and died after 3 weeks when I was on a business trip. The next one kept freezing, and I had to keep rebooting 20 or more times a day. That lasted a month. I’m very careful with my electronics, so it wasn’t my fault. They all had major issues. The manager of my store was very apologetic, but they all were garbage. I had over a hundred books on it, and can’t access any of them! I think that B&N deserves to have a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT!
      I finally bought a Kindle, and have no problems at all in 2 years.

1. maddbookish says:

I’ve had the same nook reader for 3 years now with zero issues. That’s after the one I’d had for 2 years that quit working after I dropped it one too many times. I don’t have a tablet, so maybe that’s the difference. If I’m going to read on a backlit screen, I might as well do it on my phone or iPad. My husband has a Kindle Fire and never even uses it.

17. Mike B says:

Folks, folks…. I’ve been through this before. With Zune and many others.

What I predict — you can still use your content for a time, and then eventually B&N will shut everything down and not say another word about it.

Nobody wants to spend resources supporting a dead product.

18. Stephanie says:

Okay people- I work for Barnes and Noble. If you have a Nook HD+ or earlier, this only affects you. If you have any other Nook device, you’re fine- all of your content is fine. The only things this is affecting are: 1) if you have an older Nook (HD+ or earlier), and downloaded content from the old Nook store, specifically movies and apps, you have until the endof April, I believe, to keep your content.

2) Do you use your Nook in the UK? If so, some books may or may not be compatible, but a credit will be offered.

Google Play is a much superior app store, that, unfortunately, wasn’t around when some of the earlier Nooks came out. I will admit that the earlier Nooks were crap. I, myself, had a Nook color, and it sucked. I also have a Samsung Nook, and it’s much much better. Once they partnered with an actual electronics company, it was exponentially better.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to reply here.

1. Marky Mark says:

How about reimbursing me for that “older Nook (HD+ or earlier” that I purchased and that subsequently froze up and quit working about a day after the warranty lapsed. If you sell an inferior product and then don’t support it, you don’t deserve to be in business or in the same ring as the big boys.

1. Stephanie says:

Sweetie, I just work for the company. I don’t know what to tell you, but don’t take it out on me. Btw, my Nook color, which is a lot older than your HD+, is still working.

1. Bridgette Upton says:

Mine as well, I have the nook color tablet. Only thing with it, is cosmetic as I have dropped it one too many times. My 1st generation nook was going strong until I lost it last year (then I had to unbox the new (obsolete) tablet).

2. Char says:

I have a Nook Simple Touch and a Nook Glowlight. Is this going to affect me?

1. maddbookish says:

This is an apps and movies issue, the Simple Touch and Glowlight don’t even access any of that stuff, so I don’t see why it would.

3. Tamra Kaufman says:

I still have and use daily the original nook. I did not get the “email” from Barnes and noble. My nook doesn’t support apps or video content. Only books. If books are not to be affected, how can the original nook be included in this fiasco? I am simply growing more confused.

4. L. Myers says:

I have an original Nook, which I prefer to read my books. I will still be able to red the books I have on the original Nook? I just found out about this on Facebook. I never received an email from B & N.

19. lizbeth pizarr says:

I have the Nook App on my Samsung Tab. The ebook on my App will I lose them ?

1. ellen says:

No. You will not. Books in your Nook library are fine and will be fine.

20. Stuart Lauchlan says:

Which NOOK devices are affected by the change to NOOK Apps?
      The below NOOK devices were affected by the changes to NOOK Apps:

• NOOK Color
      • NOOK Tablet
      • NOOK HD
      • NOOK HD+
      • Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 7.0
      • Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 10.1
      • Samsung Galaxy Tab E NOOK
      • Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 NOOK

21. As an author I have watched my nook sales tank. In 2013 my sales were very good, but now they are barely more than a dinner and a movie. Nothing you could live on. I like the fact that B&N gives the Zon a run for its money. Competition is healthy and the more markets available the better. But now when I go to B&N.com I see nothing but traditional published books. So I spend my advertising dollars on other venues. I really hope B&N continues, but fear we’re watching its slow demise.

22. Anna Smith says:

Frankly, if B&N is going to abandon me after convincing me the Nook was worth my money, I will be abandoning B&N. The fact is I *can* get it from Amazon and prefer not to do so. Since I am abandoned to Amazon, I suppose I have to embrace them completely. Thanks a lot for valuing the customer over your stockholders.

23. Kenneth Simon says:

The headline of this article is click-bait at its worst. It’s sort of kind of true, but not really. Those of us who have Nooks with a lot of purchased ebook content were led to read the article in a panic that we had only a few days left to access it all. Then, by the end of the article, it’s clear that this isn’t at all the case. I’m adding Digonomica to my list of skeezy sites that use misleading headlines to get clicks. You got my click today but never again.

1. Stuart Lauchlan says:

Sorry you feel that way Kenneth. The headline isn’t intended as clickbait. We don’t operate on a
        clickbait business model so there’s nothing to be gained there.

1. Amy says:

The article heading is click bate, and alarmist at best. “Nukes the Nook” indicates a total loss of service and content and there is no way a responsible publication doesn’t know that since 1945. The actions of your publication belie your statement.

24. Stephanie says:

The Nook App on devices like iPads, computers, cell phones, etc will not be affected!

It’s only the Nook store on Nook devices Nook HD+ and older.

25. Stephen says:

Lol, paper books don’t break or shut down. I love it.😂

26. Roy Stone says:

Stuart, the headline AND the summary are awful. I received and read the email from B&N. It doesn’t look like the end, or the beginning of the end, of the Nook. What will happen is that it will remain an e-reader. Which is what I purchased mine to be. It’s not being nuked, and everyone’s books will be fine. Next time, try to make the headline reflect the content.

That’s good to know. I also purchased mine only for reading. And I agree, make the headline reflect the content!

I have owned two Nooks, I upgraded a few years ago. I absolutely love mine and would hate to lose all of the books I have on mine as well as the device itself. If this is a way to make you purchase or upgrade to the newest version… Shame on them. I hope everything works out and this isn’t true!

1. Squirrel says:

It’s not true. The article writer flavored his headline and article in a way that makes one suspect he has an ulterior motive or personal axe to grind. You will neither lose your books nor your device itself, as the email I read explains.

28. Kathy says:

I am still confused. Am I going to lose all my games and books? How can I transfer to another device to save them?

29. Marky Mark says:

This doesn’t surprise me since my p-o-s Touch Glowlight froze up on me and quit working OVER A YEAR AGO!!! B&N’s customer service response? “Duh, uh, we’ll give you a $10 off coupon to buy a new one…” You ask me they are digging a deeper and deeper hole for themselves – they deserve to go under.

1. Stephanie says:

You could do the trade-in. At least $50 off one of the new devices.

30. Sherrie says:

One of the things I liked best about my Nook HD plus was not only reading books and magazines but rent a movie or watch ABC, listen to music and check my emails while traveling. Now as I understand it am back to carrying a laptop as well as my reader. Nook was a great product and offered what other vendors didn’t. This sucks.

31. Mimi says:

First of all, not necessary to swear, but just because it doesn’t bother you, Arlene, it does some of us!

32. Cupcake says:

It’s so much better reading a real book then a nook any ways…..I tried and couldn’t get into the nook…give me real book in my hands any day!!

33. jason says:

How does this affect my Book 1.0? I got Book when it first came out, and I’ve not had any problems with it. In fact, I bought many thirds-party apps for Book like Lamp, Chair, Backpack and because I was using Book for study, “Yellow Highlighter.” I do hope that Book won’t be completely useless after this upgrade, because I’ve invested a lot in it and upgrading to Book 2.0 will certainly be difficult, as it always is.

34. Michele Carter says:

I have a simple touch glow light. It is my second Nook. My first was a refurbished original Nook. All I do is read on it anyway. As long as I can still buy books and read I’m happy. The only reason I got a Nook over a Kindle was that B&N have stores to go to if you have a problem and with Kindle you have to send your ereader in to Amazon to be fixed.

35. Reader says:

This is a bad article.

36. Samuel Lubell says:

What about the Nook Color? It cannot access Goggle Play.

37. Jason Michaels says:

Oh, FFS, these Kindle fanatics are getting as slavish as iTools in their devotion. I’m about sick of yellow journalists twisting statistics, making up falsehoods, taking quotes out of context and creating clickbait garbage in a desperate bid to destroy everything not Amazon. The truth is that Amazon is struggling with the Kindle every bit as much as B&N is with the Nook. Ereaders and tablets IN GENERAL are losing market share and fast these days as people make the shift back to physical books and laptop computers. The Nook, in fact, is a better machine in every way (and at every level) than the Kindle. Every benchmark puts the Nook ahead. The only reason people still sing the praises of the Kindle is that they’re slavishly devoted to Amazon (which really in terms of business practice is akin to being slavishly devoted to Wal Mart or Starbucks). And with the inclusion of Google Play, guess what? You can have your Kindle library…ON YOUR NOOK. The real truth, if you dig deeper, is that the Nook is selling BETTER than the Kindle right now. Why don’t you tell the truth for a change instead of letting your personal opinions color your poor excuse for journalism?

38. Nina Finnell says:

I started with nook at Barnes and Noble because of the availability of going to the store with problems or questions. I went thru 3 nooks and the 4th nook HD+ was the one with problems and no support from B&N. I still have the nook but it does not open often and if it opens its slow and stops and does not remember bookmarks and skips around. I bought a kindle when I started having problems and enjoy the kindle. Does not have any of the problems that the nook had.

39. Elynore DeVries says:

What happens to my balance on my gift cards? Will I still be able to purchase e-book’s with them?

40. MadelineH says:

What a poor example of journalism in any format. If it is not click bait, it it incompetence to have a headline like that, and a sub heading that hardly qualifies it. A link was sent to me by someone who thought it meant just what it said, not that it contained (old) information regarding the moves in the UK and in video, etc. Shame on you.

41. Even hits can whiff a bit!

42. Tracy says:

Nice, 145.00 purchase, on sale mind you, trade in value on Samsung tablet is 50.00 and now this! Makes me mad…and I have nook color and the tablet….

43. Lisa h. says:

Are people completely unaware that the nook hd is super easy to convert to an android tablet? And as such you are not limited by b&n crappy software and support?

44. SHARON says:

Will it bother any of the Book Bub selections. I have some downloaded but not others. If so what would be the best option?

45. Connie Pedigo says:

I have 1502 books on my nook hd, please tell me that I’m not going to lose them. I have some serious money invested in my books and I seriously love my nook.

You should check out the list of devices affected above and as responded to by B&N – again, above.

2. Stephanie says:

Books will NOT be affected! ONLY apps/movies bought using the old Nook store.

46. didi says:

Guess I will get Kindle. Sad I liked my Nook reader

47. Alan Pearson says:

I’ve got a new Nook Simple Touch reader which I just never got round to using, and I’m in the UK. Should I just bin it? Any advice appreciated

48. Shari says:

Now I’m nervous to buy more Nook Books. I love my Nook, I hate the newer e-readers since they are all touchscreen. But I don’t want to keep spending money on Nook Books if that’s going to be the next thing to go….I don’t want to switch to Kindle but I guess I may not have a choice….bummed.

49. Roy Stone says:

There is no reason to think that the Nook is going away.

50. Jason says:

Moral of the story: Just stick to print books.

51. John says:

Too bad the author can’t write an objective, factual headline and instead has to sensationalize and twist the facts for a headline.

52. Jesse says:

So, if I have a game or app that is affected, what exactly do I need to do?

I’ll go back to books. I live 5 houses from our city library, so not to worry.

54. Sandy says:

My Nook tablet still works, although it is slow, but my HD no longer works. It keeps trying to sinc. How do I fix it?

55. TT says:

The saddest thing about this article is that the Nook actually had a great e-reader experience similar to an iOS feel when the Kindle still had clunky physical buttons and was a weird 5-sided shape.

The author writes as if the Nook was a poor attempt to compete with Kindle, yet the truth is the Nook was *much better* than the Kindle, only B&N did a horrible, horrible job of promoting it.

56. Marcy says:

Ok here is a question….I have a nook, I live in the US but make frequent trips to the UK due to friends and family there….will I have to have a Sainsbury’s account just to read the books I already have downloaded??

57. Ellen says:

What a horribly misleading headline.

58. Dale King says:

I still have a Nook gift card. And some remaining on my Nook account. Can I still use them if I have to order books from Google PlayStore? How will that work and will it start on March 15th?

59. Corwin59 says:

Did anyone asking questions actually read the article? The only changes are that you’ll have to get your content from the original provider, and any future apps will have to come from the original content provider or the Google Play store. The article doesn’t say Barnes & Noble is killing the Nook, giving up the digital book business, taking away the books you’ve already purchased. or no longer offering books to download. You don’t have to order books from Google Play.
      The headline is misleading (unless you understand the difference between ‘Nuke” and “Kill” in a computer context.
      The Nook is NOT going away.

60. Kim56 says:

I have the Nook Tablet. The first tablet. How do I find the Google Play Store on my Nook and do I have to have a separate spending account on that platform? My only apps are my background live wallpapers and a few sodoku puzzles. Other than that, I’m all books. I almost upgraded my Nook this summer to a more comprehensive Tablet I could use for other things, but that’s out now (I think). I was told a year or so ago that Nook wouldn’t go belly-up because it had all the university contracts for the students’ textbooks. At least that’s what I heard from a university student. Oh, and I never got an email from B&N.

61. Wendy Martin says:

Will I still be able to access my local library ebook account?

62. I don’t even know the way I stopped up right here, but I thought this publish was good. I do not recognise who you’re however certainly you are going to a famous blogger in the event you aren’t already. Cheers!

63. Max says:

Ronald Boire:
      Ruins everything he touches, a long history of working at or near the top of one failure after another.
      I’ve been a B&N fan since 2009 but this move has finally driven me away.